Ch. 2 Discussion Questions
1. Explain why IT is both a business pressure and an enabler of response activities that counter business pressures.
2. What does a flat world mean to you in your choice of a major? In your choice of a career? Will you have to be a “lifelong learner”? Why or why not?
3. What might the impact of a flat world be on your standard of living?
4. Is IT a strategic weapon or a survival tool? Discuss.
5. Why might it be difficult to justify a strategic information system?
6. Describe the five forces in Porters competitive forces model and explain how increased access to high-speed internet has affected each one.
7. Describe Porters value chain model. What is the relationship between the competitive forces model and the value chain model?
8. Describe how IT can be used to support different value chains for different companies.
9. Discuss the idea that an information system by itself can rarely provide a sustainable competitive advantage.
● Management Information Systems, Rainer, Prince, Watson, 3rd Edition